Thursday, September 21, 2006

so we all know how i used to dress like a boy...


I met up with Liz, Megan V., Katye and Courtney last night and shared a bazillion laughs over a dessert called the magic 8 (I mean magic 7...or was it 15) and as I sat there I was taken back to my 2nd year. That year me and the other 360 babies (Chelse and Andrea) were never quite sure what our scandelous 4th year roommates were up to or laughing about and we were always just enough out of the loop that we were never able to actually acuse them of anything...even though we KNEW they were up to something...the real story however was that we were always just a little bit jealous that we couldn't be scandelous with them and when you came right down to it we just really wanted to be LIKE them. They had so much freedom, they cuddled, they cused, they loved Jesus and drove people towards him, they wore adorble clothes and tall girl shoes. I think when I came into college I had a very narrow, maybe even close minded, view of what a Christian woman was, and the view that I had didn't jive very well into the person I knew I was becoming. As I watched those girls I remember taking note how they embraced who they were, who God had made them as an individual, and used that to draw other people to Him. It was such an encouragement to me, the more time I spent with them the more I realized that I was not the baggy pants and old tee shirt wearing, boring hair girl I came into 360 as. That may sound incredibly superficial, like the only thing 360 did for me was give me fashion sense, but that outward aspect I think was a reflection of who I thought I was supposed to be on the inside. The time I spent in 360 my 2nd year peeled away the old layers of my personality, it helped me see my relationship with the Lord in an entirely different light to see the freedom in it and helped me to finally expose the dynamic, passionate and confident person the Lord intended me to be (and realize that it was possible to love the Lord AND be able hold your liquor). Watching the 4th year girls that year I learned what it was to use all of who God made you to show the world all of who He is. My 2nd year in 360 may have been the most changing year of my life, inside and out. As support for my claims I would like to offer into evidence the above picture from my wedding, lounging in a big poofy chair, in big poofy dress, slippers, cute hair and a beer - a 360 girl through and through.

1 comment:

Sportney said...

I just have to say that I love you too Nik!