Monday, August 21, 2006

From Katye.

Um, so hi. :) I'm finally figuring out how to post, not just "blog eavesdrop" as Megan put it. I figure if I don't get something out there, Courtney will keep asking me every time I see her - which is often, relatively, anyway, so there's only so much grace time with my "the government blocks blogs" excuse... Cause you and I both (all) know that she'll come over to my apt, fire up my computer and show me how to do it.

So - really, the litany of where I've lived and what jobs I've had is kind of long - but here's the easy version - I graduated in 2001, moved to Northern Virginia, got a job at the White House and worked as a Writer for President Bush for a year. In Oct 2002, I started working for Homeland Security - BEFORE there was a Department of Homeland Security - four months later, a lot of late nights and an Act of Congress, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was birthed and from January 2003 until February 2005 I worked for DHS. In Feb of 2005, I thought I'd leave the govt and try the private sector - bad idea, it lasted 3 months, so short that it's not worth talking about. So I went back to the White House for a year and in May was asked to come to the State Department, where I am now, to work for Karen Hughes. Basically, I do communcations for foreign policy. If you want more info: www.state.gov/r One of my jobs is to draft her speeches. If you want to know more about Karen, she's got a book, Ten Minutes from Normal... She was the President's Communications Director. And it's really quite humbling (read: DAUNTING) to work for one of the best communicators out there... I mean, let's all remember that my thesis 4th year didn't quite meet my advisor's expectations. That said, God is SO using this job to affirm His call on my life to write... I know that's what I'm called to, but I've been learning (lately) how crippled I've been by insecurity and lack of confidence in this area. In nearly 3 months, I've written or re-written several major speeches, and each time it's been so incredible to see Him build me up even as I'm humbled and know it's not b/c I'm so great - it's Him in me.

All that said - that's just work. It's like maybe 1/2 of me... if that. I'm also still SO stinkin' passionate about women's ministry. The Lord really re-established this in my heart after I lost Richard. (Side note on this coming...) Currently I'm on the team of women planning/running a young women's conference, After Eve - I'm the promotions director, so here's my shameless plug: www.aftereve.org Just click the link and check it out. And pray for me b/c someone thinks it's a good idea for me to teach a breakout seminar... Seriously, I can't talk them out of it, they even feel like it's a God thing. Sheesh. :) The seminar is called "I didn't sign up for this." The basic synopsis: "Break ups, Cancer, job loss, financial strain, losing someone you love. Sometimes our world turns upside down and sometimes we find ourselves disappointed with a turn of events… what then? Where is faith when you face disappointment, crisis, or suffering? How do you follow Christ when you feel like you have nothing to give?"

Which brings me to the short side note - today is August 21, 2006. Two years ago today I would have been married to the most incredible man, Richard Keplinger. Those of you who didn't meet him would have loved him - he was so 360... On June 17, 2004, he was killed in a freak accident cutting down a tree. The short version, b/c I think you all know this, is that God is incredibly faithful. I can't say it's been fun, or easy, or anything except hard. But a little over two years later, and on what would have been my 2nd anniversary, I can confidently tell you that I know Whom I have believed and He is able to guard what I have entrusted to him... I'll let one of the pastors wives remind me the reference there... 1 or 2 Timothy, I think, but I don't have my bible. Anyway, God is a big God. If you want more, I'll send the transcript of my breakout seminar... or just come to After Eve... :)

So, yeah, that's me. Single, sort of, living in DC/VA, working for the government (Leah, I've heard Seth has a theory on this?) and trusting God to show me what each day holds - I still have bad days (today isn't great) but I'm hopeful, and confident, and I'm not afraid to say that I pray big prayers - I want to see great harvest out of this great loss - not just in my life but in the lives around me and in the lives around those people. I don't know why a tree falls, but God does, and He's sovereign, and I'm content to trust that.

I've posted a pic of me and Richard below - I hope it's not too sad for y'all, but it just seems like my 360 girls should all have known him.

Much love and more prayers - kdb

6 comments:

Megan Vaught said...

hey kdb, love you and i'm praying for you today...and every day, for that matter. hope i will be able to make it to after eve...what is the date? (sorry i didn't check out your link yet.) leah, maybe we can talk allison into going with us?
love you gals

Megan Vaught said...

oh yea...and what is this "single (sort of) stuff" about?!?

KDBalls said...

After Eve is November 3rd and 4th - Friday and Saturday. Registration includes the intensive seminars on Friday, the "pre-conference" stuff... Friday night is the first main session and the concert with Joy Williams. Saturday it runs until 4pm.

Thanks Megan, for your prayers and love!

ALSO, the "sort of" is that I'm single, but it's different than before, b/c I don't really feel the same, like I'm really really single, but I'm single, and almost ready to date again... I think the only hang up is I've yet to find someone I want to date. I promise, if there is ever a possibility, I'll probably post it on this blog so that you all can pray... it'll take that to make it work... really, he'll have to just be outright crazy to take me on... :)

martha.cullaty said...

Katye-
Good to hear about you and how God is using your experiences to advance His kingdom. I am working with Kelli Coffin (not sure of her maiden name) now and we talked about knowing you the other day!

seattlemegs said...

katye,
loved hearing how you're doing + about god's faithfulness in your life in the midst of this great loss. wish i were closer so we could hang out!!! we must get together when i'm in va next. much love + many prayers, megs

veronicagreear said...

I have kept up loosely on you with Robbie, Katye. Was SO glad to see your post and to hear how God really is enough in the darkest place. I am so sorry that you have to endure it on one hand, but thankful for the product. I had gotten stuff on teh After Eve thing, and I thought it looked great! Good job!