Thursday, August 31, 2006

Still at School at 6:00pm

So i'm still sitting in my classroom at 6:10 at night and school hasn't even started yet! This is not a good sign! I shouldn't be surprised though seeing as i spent a 4 hour lunch break buying cute sparkly white sunglasses at Macy's/Hecht's in Tysons and then the last hour reading all the posts i missed having been out of touch with the modern world in my no internet/phone/cable play house in the backyard all summer. Whatever though it's teacher work week who ACTually does work during teacher work week? My kids make fun of me that i have to go to school on teacher work days and they get a day off but i swear to you those are the best days ever you get 8 solid hours to be productive (or go shopping and read blogs, but whatever) and not be distracted by annoying things like students and teaching. Actually i have to say, sort of in response to Megan's comment about not wanting to have to direct kids around piles of vomit for the rest of her life. I LOVE my job. Some parts of it stink and it can be super stressful (last year teaching AP Environmental for the first time, i'd get half way through a lesson and realize i didn't even understand what i was trying to teach - THAT is a horrible feeling, especially when it's only 1st period and you've got 3 more classes to go!) seriously though the kids are my favority part. High school juniors and seniors, they are almost old enough to start caring about and talking about real things and they see a world beyond the four (rather crumbling) walls of Woodson high school (we're being renovated this year you should SEE the trailor park we've got going!) There are hugely frustrating days but then you get an email from your favorite kid who graduated last year and is all off at college and he's telling you how he's taking this geology class but it's soooo boring b/c he already learned everything with me the year before. Or the kid who would try so many pick up lines on me in a given day i had to limit him to one a day until he finished all his work - this would be the same kid that proceeded to write my evaluation at the end of the year in the form of a poem expressing is undying love for me. They really are hilarious and funny...most of the time. Watch, this time next week when i have to be mean and hard on them to get them whipped into shape at the beginning of the year and they're fighting me tooth and nail i'll be revising this post to say how miserable my job is. I'll just have to keep my lastest graduated student email at the top of my inbox ("well i was just checking in on ya. make sure you work those kids to death this year. do you have to be put into a trailor? because they can't do that to mrs.carroll or else i'll have to come back there and teach them a little lesson. :)") to remind myself how fun it can be. Time to go pick up my husband and head off to dance lessons (triple swing tonight i think!). Love you girls.

No comments: